Birthing From Within™ Class Registration Form
Philosophical Assumptions & Guidelines for Birthing From Within™ Childbirth Classes
- Birth is a profound rite of passage and not a medical event (even when medical care becomes necessary).
- The essence of birth preparation is self-discovery, not assimilating obstetric information.
- The birth mentor is ‘midwife’ to the parents’ discovery process, not the expert from whom wisdom flows.
- Birth preparation is a continually evolving process and not a static structure of techniques and knowledge. Both mentor and expectant parents are constantly learning from each other.
- Parents’ individual needs and differences determine the class content.
- Active, creative self-expression is critical to birth preparation.
- The purpose of birth preparation is to prepare mothers and partners to give birth-in-awareness, not to achieve a specific birth outcome.
- Pregnancy and birth outcomes are influenced by a variety of factors, but can’t be controlled by planning.
- In order to help parents mobilize their coping resources, it is critical for birth classes to acknowledge that unexpected, unwelcome events may happen during labor.
- Parents deserve support for any labor and birth option that is right for them (whether it be drugs, technology or homebirth).
- Pain is an inevitable part of childbirth, yet much can be done to ease suffering.
- Pain-coping practices work best when integrated into daily life, rather than ‘dusted off’ for labor.
- Partners help best as birth guardians or loving partners, not as coaches. They also need support.
- For parents, pregnancy, birth and postpartum is a time of continuous learning and adjustment. Holistic support and education should be available throughout that period.